UK LA education vs. local LA education ?

Ann Soderberg

Hello to all international members.

I was wondering how many international members still use their LI and UK general connections ? Feel free to reply.

I am a Danish national and took my LA education at Greenwich University in the UK. Following my graduation in 2006 i worked 10 1/2 years in the UK in London, Dorset, Somerset and Oxforshire, before heading back to my native Denmark in December 2016.

There must be several international members with similar background and I was wondering how many and how you have transferred your UK experience to that of your new contries ? As here in Denmark we also work to European Standards, like in the UK, but they get interpreted a little differently.

Have you found it to be a benefit to have studied in the UK compared to where you now work ? Has it brought benefits ? or has it complicated worklife, as you don't have the same local education as all your present collegues ?

Thanks to all for responding.

Best regards,

Ann Soderberg,

Denmark

• Like 3

Hi Ann, great to see you getting this topic going as we very much want this platform to share such experience and also inform things like the LI Pathway to Chartership being made more relevant to those working overseas at that stage of their career. I have direct experience of how problematic this can be , both from our Dubai and Vilnius offices but also staff who have then gone from there back to other native countries including China. I would encourage Alistair who is on this forum and runs our Dubai office, to respond but will try and invite Ramune Baniuliene (Previously Sanderson) on who runs our Vilnius one to join - sounds as though she has a very similar experience to you and may have even been a contemporary at Greenwich?

Great to hear from you

Lionel Fanshawe, terra firma, Hampshire, UK

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi, @Ann Soderberg;

I came back home to Lithuania in 2012 after having worked in UK for 8 years as a landscape architect. I am also UoG graduate (2008) and have gained my chartership in 2011. I have found all this experience very helpful and it has always guided me. It gets difficult sometimes to accept that standards differ and my country's legislative system is behind. But I am clear about where we need to be going and what we might be able to do better in comparison to what UK has done with regards to the same topic. More UK chartered landscape architects have came back home to Lithuania and it gives me hope that we can implement what's needed faster and with growing support.

Hope this gives you some idea and best of luck.

Kind regards

Ramunė

• Like 2