hot off the press - have your say in our brand new GLVIA3 survey

Antonella Adamus

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I would encourage all landscape professionals involved in landscape and visual impact assessment to express their views by completing this questionnaire.

GLVIA3 has been in the spotlight recently with some members calling for a fourth edition and others being of the view that some aspects may need clarification. I have my own views about this but for now will keep them to myself. 

I do think however that it is important for you to know that when I left the GLVIA Advisory Panel at the end of June this year and  Rebecca Knight became chair, this completed a renewal of the Advisory Panel which means that there are no longer members of the panel who contributed directly to GLVIA3.  This change was deliberate because any organisation or advisory group should change gradually and over time.  The planned 'renewal' (for lack of better term) also facilitated a rebalancing of the make up with members working in the public and private sector and from across the UK.

I have no doubt and certainly hope that this will lead to constructive discussion about guidance in respect of landscape and visual impact assessment. Our common purpose and motivation has to be improving training, quality and standards and thus the stature of our profession.  

I also recommend you read Tom's very stimulating contribution GLVIA and  the Louse. Don't miss it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GLVIA was published in 2013. There has been a seismic shift since then. Many more townscape and visual assessments, night time assessments, and the visualisation world has changed completely (GLVIA3 supported the 2006 SNH approach to visuals, even though we knew in 2013 this was about to change…)

the problem is that whilst GLVIA3 is a great document it is ‘stuck in time’. It simply needs updating, as there are now too many edits to the original document.

But whether that should be GLVIA4 or some other online document format that is edited annually that is something for others to decide. 

but in Public Inquiries GLVIA3 isn’t as helpful as it once was. I have one next week. I can’t simply use GLVIA3 as it isn’t up to date.

the LI has a responsibility to its professional membership to keep this up to date.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...