Help Members connect please

Robert Holden

At the Members graduation ceremony on 24 February Jane Findlay as President urged new Chartered Members to contribute via the branches, volunteering to join standing committees and for new College of Fellows members to contribute via the College. 

Yet the Institute does not enable easy participation. Branches cannot email the majority of their membership only those who have elected to received branch emails. For example London Branch emails only reach 300 or so of its 1000 plus members. Far better if branch membership and emails was automatic plus an opt out facility. It is bonkers that branches cannot email the majority of their members. 

There are only 317 Members of this LI Connect social media site (out of over 5000 Institute members): this is not involving the majority of members. The old Talking Landscapes site had a lively Pathway to Chartership members forum: nothing at all on LI Connect. Naomi Gilbert wrote on this on 16 September 2021 but no action that I can see? At very least can we please add a Pathway to Chartership Forum to LI Connect.

• Like 2

Good morning Robert

Thank you for your post and your suggestions. We are somewhat restricted by GDPR which is why we have opt in emails and social media channels but we are constantly running campaigns to encourage more input and participation from everyone. 

I will of course pass this all back to our internal teams and we will see what we can do to make improvements. 

With regards to a P2C forum, this is something that we have discussed and will be implementing shortly. I will update you when this has been done.

Many thanks again

Abi 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Colleagues,

LI Connect has 320 members, (out of a total membership of over 5000) so is not working. It has less functionality than Talking Landscapes and does not serve the main users of Talking Landscapes who were the Associate Members. There is no specific P2C Forum for Associate Members. So why not set up a Forum for the Pathway to Chartership and email Associate members encouraging them to exchange information there?

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert

Thank you for your post. We will absolutely set up some more specific groups when they are needed but at the moment we need to focus on ensuring the groups we have are being used. 

We will be holding some more specific marketing campaigns to ensure the membership are encouraged to use the platform, this will be a continuous campaign across all availbale medias. 

Please do encourage any of your contacts, colleagues and fellow professionals to get involved with LI Connect as that will increase support, information sharing and engagement. 

I will continue to monitor the platform and will create more specific groups as the membership and conversations build. 

Many thanks, as always. 

Abi 

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the Terms for My Landscape: I find the rather ominous indeed off-putting statement that 

Use of the Platform carries legal responsibilities, Messages which include offensive, untrue or illegal content, or even expressions of opinion about others, can lead to claims against you and possible criminal offences. Use of this Platform is subject to the terms of use set out below (the “Terms”) and you should read these carefully. You should only post messages that you would be comfortable including in a written letter to every Participant in this Platform and every other person who may see a copy. You are treated as accepting the Terms by accessing or using the Platform for any purpose.

What possible crimes might be committed by contributing  LI Connect? May I quote a law website:  

Criminal libel was repealed in the UK in 2010, when the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 came into effect and abolished the offences of sedition and seditious libel, defamatory libel and obscene libel. But the law still classes spoken or written statements about others that are not true as defamation.Slander is an untrue spoken statement, while libel is publishing a falsehood about someone else in a letter, report or online. What many people fail to realise is they can libel someone in an email or website.In the UK, defamation is a civil action, and if proven, a judge can award significant damages to the plaintiff.

Defamation is not a crime.  

Yours,

Robert

Edited by Robert Holden

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I've only just spotted this discussion, because 'Connect' isn't easy to follow threads on. It's annoying in the same way that TL used to be, you can't easily just follow everything, and if new topics are added it doesn't notify you, so you have to find out they're there in order to follow... It would be very helpful to have a 'follow all new discussions' button.

It would also be good to advertise this forum better e.g. in Vista - maybe note 'recent discussions' etc to encourage more participation?