Editing photographs for Type 4 Visualisations

Paul Reynolds

Welcome some feedback here ... 

I am in the process of reviewing an LVIA (well, TVIA I suppose) and in 2 of the photomontages (Type 4 rendered photomontages) as well as inserting the scheme, they have 'edited' the  photograph to remove some clutter associated with highway works in the foreground of the photo.  I have challenged this, as I believe that they should not be photoshopping base images - it undermines them (how do I know they haven't also tweaked the trees etc) they say it is perfectly acceptable as the roadworks are temporary and block some features of the scheme.  I suggested a better approach would be to refresh the base image as roadworks now long gone, but they are refusing.   

Thoughts?  

"how do I know they haven't also tweaked the trees etc"

Ideally by looking at viewpoint on site.  Failing that, you could ask them to provide new photographs that show the current conditions from the same viewpoints.  If that equates to their edited baseline images, that would seem fair enough, without them needing to create entirely new baseline images, which would likely impact on the photomontages and is arguably unnecessary.  Obviously I don't know the site or the images in question, but I would suggest focussing on what really matters in the LVIA, not trying to make a point about every possible 'failing'.